Featured

Saglemi: Govt is acting in accordance with the law, be ready to do same to stand the scrutiny of time – KON tells developers

Minister of Works and Housing Kojo Oppong Nkrumah (KON) has said the government will publish every single bid received from developers for the Saglemi Housing project.

He says they will also publish the evaluation report so that people will see how the various bids were evaluated.

Mr Oppong Nkrumah said the government is being transparent in the process of getting a private developer for the Saglemi Housing project and further urged the developers to also be open to transparency and stand the scrutiny of time.

As part of the transparent process, he said the government will publish every single bid received for the development of the Saglemi Affordable Housing project.

He says that the government is operating within the remit of the law in handling the project.

He revealed that ten companies, international and local, have expressed interest in the Saglemi Housing project.

Addressing the press in Parliament on Wednesday, June 19, the Ofoase Ayirebi lawmaker said “we announced a process through which the government will select a private developer or a consortium of private developers to complete the uncompleted Saglemi Affordable Housing projects and operationalise it.

“Now, you recall that the government initially took a loan of about $200 million to build 5,000 housing units, 1,506 of which were partially completed, and that’s what you often see at Saglemi Affordable Housing. Three major components were missing: water, electricity, and sewage works. When the Ghana Institute of Surveyors did their assessment, they said we needed about $100 million to complete these 1,506, and the government took a decision that within the difficult financial constraints, it’s very difficult to find that extra $100 million after $200 million has been spent.

“So, the cabinet took a decision that we should select a private developer or consortium of private developers and let them make the investment so that we can operationalise it. A couple of months ago, we issued a request for proposals. To date, I am briefed that about 10 companies, international and local, have expressed interest, have picked up forms, have been taken to the project site, and they have had the opportunity to inspect what has been left there so far.”

He added “the government of Ghana is a continuation, there are different administrations, Kufuor administration, Mills administration, and Mahama but there is one government of Ghana.

“The government of Ghana is going through a transparent process to get a developer to complete the Saglemi site. We are clear in our minds that we are doing everything above board and in accordance with the law. We are expecting that whoever is putting in the bid is also open to do same and in the end, he should be able to stand the scrutiny of time.

“We have committed that for every single bid that we are receiving, eventually we will publish every single bid, we will also publish the evaluation report so that you see for yourselves how the various bids were evaluated.

“We will publish the decision document and we will publish the final contract. so everything is being done above board and so everybody can have confidence that it will stand the test of time.”

Source: 3news

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button