The Government through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs have evacuated some 224 Ghanaians who were stranded in the United Kingdom after the outbreak of the Novel coronavirus which led to the closure of Ghana’s borders in March.
The citizens arrived Wednesday, June 17, 2020.
They were checked in by the Ghana Immigration Service personnel and health officers on Wednesday.
The returnees had agreed to pay for hotel bills and their flight.
The government’s pre-condition for evacuation was that the stranded citizens bear the full cost of their 14-day mandatory quarantine when they arrive in the country.
They will be quarantined at the Airport View Hotel, Alisa Hotel and Marriot Hotel.
Stay at the Airport View Hotel is costing GHS500 a night, Alisa Hotel going for GHS600 a night and Marriot Hotel going for GHS600 a night.
A second batch of Ghanaians from the UK is expected to arrive this Sunday.
Gov’t has evacuated 856 stranded Ghanaians back home
The Minister for Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration, Shirley Ayorkor Botchway has disclosed that Ghana has so far evacuated 856 stranded Ghanaians back to Ghana.
The Minister said this when she addressed the press at a presser by the Ministry of Information Today, June 16, 2020.
The Minister who was responding to questions by the press on the number of persons who had been evacuated so far said, “So far 856 Ghanaians have been assisted to come back home.”
The Minister also said some Ghanaians who traveled to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to seek greener pastures but became stranded are also being evacuated.
According to the Minister, the first batch has arrived and the other batch is currently en route to Ghana.