The Ghana Mission in the United Kingdom has in a statement announced it will be evacuating all Ghanaians stranded in the UK on June 17, 2020.
The Mission outlined guidelines for the evacuation in its statement.
For those stranded and ready to return home, the mission has asked for them to pay a negotiated rate of fare to the airline tasked to transfer them to Ghana.
The statement indicated that persons who meet the requirements set out by the Mission will be contacted by the said airline.
Passengers who are already in possession of KLM or Airfrance return tickets will be allowed to use those tickets for the flight.
“Such passengers should furnish KLM with a copy of the return ticket,” the statement clarified.
Evacuees have been instructed to “carry the appropriate PPE ie. Face masks before boarding the flight.”
There will be temperature checks before evacuees board the plane.
Evacuees will also bear the cost of the mandatory 14-day quarantine, with a “possible extension to 21 days depending on individual cases.”
President Akufo-Addo first announced a two week closure of Ghana’s borders in March but subsequently extended it indefinitely in his last address to the nation on Sunday, May 31, 2020.
The closure of the border was to stop the importation of more cases of the novel coronavirus.
President Akufo-Addo in his last address to the nation indicated that government had initiated plans to evacuate Ghanaians stranded abroad.
He disclosed that the individuals who will be evacuated will be made to undergo mandatory quarantine and other safety protocols.
“Our border, by air, land, and sea, remains closed until further notice for human traffic. However, given that there are Ghana residents stranded abroad, a special dispensation is going to be given for their evacuation back to Ghana, where they will be subjected to the mandatory quarantine and safety protocols,” he said.
Below is the full statement
Kindly refer to the High Commission’s earlier communication on the above and note that per directives from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration of Ghana, the evacuation exercise of Ghanaians who are willing to cover the cost of travel and mandatory quarantine will take place on 17th of June 2020. In preparation for the intended evacuation and to ensure a smooth exercise, interested applicants are to note the following:
- Cost of airline ticket: the negotiated rate of fare with KLM from London SHOULD be paid directly to the airline which will contact ONLY passengers who fulfil all the requirements as set out in points (e) and (f);
- Passengers who are already in possession of KLM or Airfrance return tickets will be allowed to use those tickets for the flight. Such passengers should furnish KLM with a copy of the return ticket;
- Passengers are to carry the appropriate PPE ie. Face masks before boarding the flight;
- There will be temperature checks before boarding;
- All passengers are also to note that they will cover the cost of the mandatory 14-day quarantine with a possible extension to 21 days depending on individual cases. The cost of quarantine as indicated below PER NIGHT MUST be paid directly to a selected hotel before passengers are allowed to travel.
THE NEGOTIATED DISCOUNTED RATES FOR THE HOTELS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
HOTEL RATES PER NIGHT IN GH₵
AIRPORT VIEW (2- STAR)
500GHC to include boarding, breakfast, lunch, dinner and water
ALISA (4- STAR)
600GHC to include boarding, breakfast, lunch, dinner and water
600GHC to include boarding, meals and water
NB: This should be paid directly to the hotel prior to departure from place of origin
Eligible nationals who are prepared to pay for their cost of travel to Ghana must submit their details specified below to the Ghana High Commission not later than close of day on Friday, 12th June 2020:
- Passport Number
- Telephone contact
- Phone Numbers (U.K. & Ghana)
- Attach copy of already existing KLM or Airfrance ticket
- Attach evidence of payment for Flight
- Attach evidence of hotel payment for cost of Quarantine
- Current Location
- Final destination in Ghana after quarantine
The above information should be sent to the following email addresses of the High Commission by close of day on Friday, 12th June 2020:
For clarification ONLY, kindly contact the following numbers
Helpline 1 : 07472 430197
Helpline 2 : 07472 459102
For the avoidance of any doubt kindly note the following:
This exercise is ONLY targeted at those who have already submitted their particulars to the High Commission as earlier requested.
Passengers will ONLY be contacted by KLM after evidence of payment of hotel cost for mandatory quarantine.
The High Commission appreciates your urgent cooperation in this matter.
LONDON, 10TH JUNE 2020